Sunday 30th July 2017

Yesterday  Saturday 29th  Cycled 80 miles to Crystal Falls in Michigan (50 miles in Wisconsin 30 in Michigan.


More lakes, small towns in Wisconsin. A bigger town Iron River in Michigan, which I only went through because I missed a turning. Camped for the night in Crystal Falls, an old Mill town. The entrance to the town was fine. I passed a care home/assisted living complex, where I stopped to talk to some of the residents who were sitting in the shade. But the centre of town had that run down feel. This meant I went and camped at a private site near the Paint River surrounded by RV's. I was charged 20 dollars for my small tent which I think is too much.
     Not a good nights sleep. First the village youths seemed to be driving their off road jeeps well into the night -sound carries. Then I heard gun shots, then police sirens. then more sirens. Good thing I had not camped in the city park!


Sunday 20th July 92 miles


Had my first breakfast (mueslie and a banana). Set off  hoping to get 20 miles in before stopping for second breakfast.  A great cycle, as quiet roads, but all the old wayside diners had shut down. At 45 miles there was a garage open. These garages are great for the long distance cyclist, because they exist, but I wander round and can find nothing I want to eat. Plenty of variety of crisps if you want them!
     Then I passed the time zone sign which means the hour goes forward, am now in Eastern Time,. Then at 60 miles I pass a diner, too late for breakfast, so it had to be a burger! Please do not expect me to eat these things at home.
   A gradual downhill incline and I have hit Lake Michigan, well a small inlet of it. Cycled through Escanaba to look at the shore- there seemed to be a big power plant or maybe it was a wood mill. The shops on the main street of this large town were closed as it is Sunday. So out north to Gladstone. As I passed the campsite the thunder started tp roll, so booked into a very reasonably priced motel. Have added extra mileage by cycling to a grocery store.Food in the fridge. Microwave ready to use. There is even a coffee machine. And the sun has come out and the rain has stopped.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wed. 16th August

Friday 25th August

Thursday the 17th nd Friday 18th In Toronto